Puppies are so sweet and cute and letting them off the hook easily after a mistake is bound to happen. You will ‘awe’ when you find those tiny muddy paw prints all over your kitchen floor as they were probably made so innocently. Don’t be fooled by those huge adorable puppy eyes when they need something from you. You need to train the puppy at this stage otherwise you will regret it later on when you just can’t discipline them.
Puppy training can be a difficult job especially if you have no prior training experience. With the following steps, you’ll be on the right track;
1. Start the training as soon as the puppy gets home. Do not wait until later on when they are too spoilt and head strong. It is much easier when they are young as the basic instruction is bound to stick and they will never forget it.
2. Correct bad behavior as soon as it happens. This is a good time for the puppy to know what exactly it is that they did wrong to avoid confusion and fear. Dogs have short memory so correcting the puppy later will not make any sense.
3. Take the little guy out for potty breaks every two hours after feeding and naps, this will prevent accidents on your carpet or bed and create a routine for them. Putting the puppy in a small crate, only taking them out once in while will establish a routine as they learn to hold it in for longer periods of time.
4. Socialize your puppy by taking them to social gatherings and teaching them basic behavior. The event has to be fun and pressure free as placing very high expectations of discipline will scare him. This can start anytime from 4 – 12 weeks of age.
5. Give praise where due to encourage the puppy to do well more often, they have feelings too so they will want to have more of it from time to time. A happy puppy is an easy puppy.
6. Be clear and stern when correcting naughty behavior like using a loud clap or voice for the puppy to know that they are being warned. Use a calm voice when teaching the puppy new tricks and make it fun to encourage them. This is a friendly voice to them and they would likely repeat tricks to keep it up.
7. If you want your puppy to be always going for bathroom breaks on paper then you need to put them in a special room covered only in paper. After a while, remove some paper and watch. If he goes on the uncovered area, cover it again to give him more time until he gets it right. This will teach him to go only on paper in the future.
8. Remember that everything in the puppy training stage has to be based on a routine. Let the puppy know that time for sleeping is entirely for sleeping and not for playing. This will give you an easy time and discipline your puppy to grow into the unconditionally loving companion he will become.
Incoming search terms:
- 2 dogs
- huge puppy eyes
- off the hook cute puppies
- PUPpy training tips
- animal food refusal